Koh Samet is a fantastic Thai island getaway and it is pretty close to Pattaya. This post will detail how to get to Koh Samet from Pattaya including the cost, timings and information on the transport links.
If you’re travelling to Koh Samet from Bangkok then check out my guide on how to get to Koh Samet from Bangkok.
Pattaya and Koh Samet are pretty close, just 74km. To get to Koh Samet, you will need to take a bus, mini van or taxi to Ban Phe and then take a ferry or speedboat to the island.
Cost: The cheapest option will cost between 190 baht and 270 baht. If you opt for more expensive travel options (discussed below) this will be higher.
Travel Time: between 2 – 2.5 hours.
How To Get To Koh Samet From Pattaya
The first step would be getting from Pattaya to Ban Phe and then taking a ferry or speedboat to the island of Koh Samet.
Getting from Pattaya to Ban Phe will only take between 1 – 1.5 hours. There are a few different options for travel:
- You can take a private taxi to Ban Phe. This tends to be the quickest and most comfortable option but is also the most expensive. A taxi costs around 1000 baht.
- A cheaper option would be to take a shared minivan to Ban Phe. You will have to share this with other passengers but you’ll save money. These cost between 500 and 600 baht per person.
- The cheapest option would be to take a bus. This is probably the most difficult option as you will first have to take a bus from Pattaya to Rayong.
- Nakhonchai Air operates a bus that you can take from their bus station in Pattaya to Rayong. This will take around 1 hour.
- You then need to take a songthaew (or taxi) to Ban Phe so you can get the ferry to Koh Samet. This will take a further 30 minutes. This will cost you overall between 120 and 200 baht.
- For an easy option, you can book a full round-trip with Klook. Tickets cost between 700 and 800 baht for a round-trip ticket including the ferry cost.
- This is a simple and easy way to travel as Klook does all the hard work for you. The minivan will pick you up from your accomodation in Pattaya and drop you off at the ferry point.
Once you are at Ban Phe, you will then need to take a ferry or speedboat over to Koh Samet.
There are a few different ferry points at Ban Phe – the most popular being Nuan Thip Pier.
- The ferries depart once every hour from 7am until 6pm and last 45 minutes. Please note that they don’t operate at night so if you arrive late, you’ll have to pay the higher price for a speedboat.
- A ticket for the ferry costs 70 baht. To buy your ticket, you can head to the ticket counter or you can purchase one on the boat. The ferry will drop you off at Na Dan Pier on Koh Samet.
- These are a lot quicker and will cut your travel time in half. They are more expensive than the ferry but can be more convenient as they operate 24/7.
- Speedboats will drop you off anywhere on the island (whereas ferries only stop at Na Dan Pier) which is an advantage. A speedboat will cost between 200 baht and 500 baht if you opt to share with other passengers. A private speedboat will cost a lot more (over 1000 baht).
As mentioned, the public ferries will drop you off at the main pier on Koh Samet – Na Dan Pier. You’ll be greeted by a topless ogre statue coming out of the water!
Na Dan Pier is located in the north of the island and a single road runs from north to south. Many of the hotels are within walking distance from the pier and you can get to the main beach of Sai Kaew within 10 to 15 minutes by walking.
You will also find many taxis near the pier so if you’d prefer not to walk or your hotel is a little bit further away from the pier, they will take you there. Taxis cost between 50 baht and 200 baht depending on the distance travelled.
Thanks for reading this guide on how to get to Koh Samet from Pattaya.
Want to know more about Koh Samet? Check out my ultimate Koh Samet guide for all the information you’ll need.